Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Latest Christmas Project

While sifting through some old magazines and idea books recently, I saw a project that I really wanted to try. It is a spelling book for beginning readers.

My nephew is in kindergarten and it so excited that he is beginning to read. One of my co-workers also has a young son who is just beginning to learn letters and sounds. I decided this would be the perfect gift for them.

My co-worker's son is CRAZY about Handy Manny, so I decided to create my own version of Manny's hammer for the cover of his book.



The outside is really cute, but the inside is where the magic comes alive!



I stamped three sets of alphabet letters, with the vowels in red and the consonants in black. I laminated all 3 sets + 3 blank cards. Each stack was punched and I used binder rings to put the whole books together.

When the child is ready to spell a word, he or she just flips the cards around on the rings. I added the blank cards so the child can use 1 stack, 2 stacks, or 3 stacks of letters at a time. This allows him or her to learn just the alphabet, by revealing only 1 stack of letters, create 2 letter words, or 3 letter words.

I REALLY like the ending result! My husband wants me to show it to the kindergarten teachers at school. He has seen similar items at teacher stores, and they sell for a LOT of money. I would really like to create a few and sell them, but for a much lower price than they are available for commercially.

No comments:

Post a Comment