Monday, July 5, 2010

A Little Something Different

I thought I would post my latest project, it's not really a standard layout, but it definitely falls into that line.

I've spent a few of the last weeks working with summer school at the local high school. While preparing materials for my crafts classes we found several wooden art kits that were filled with colored pencils, markers, etc. Most of them were missing various pieces, paint was dried out, etc. so we set about emptying the boxes. When we finished, we were left with several GREAT wooden boxes that had handles and latches. We decided that we could repurpose these as "memory boxes".

One of the workers at summer school took photos of the classes and trips so that students would have photos to scrapbook and students hung onto memorabilia. The final week of summer school we ModPodged designer papers into the inside of each box and students used foam tape and glue guns to adhere their memories inside.

I created one for the Director of the Program.



I added some tags and ribbons to the handle to decorate the outside a bit.

If you look closely at the next two photos you will notice things like fishing lures, erasers, tickets, chopsticks, and other special little things that will remind everyone about the fun that was had at summer school this year.







I have some more of these boxes lieing around and, I bet some of you do too. This project is so easy and kid friendly. Dig out one of these and have your child document their summer trip. It looks just like a little suitcase!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Love the re-purposing of something that would have become trash!! This project really makes you think outside the box...no pun intended! It makes for a great 2 page layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute project! I'm sure the kids just loved this! I LOVE those boxes!!!

    ReplyDelete